Recap from the May 26th School Committee meeting:
Welcome to Kate Tracy, our newest committee member elected to a two-year term last week.
As is customary after each election, the committee reorganized and filled various appointments:
- Chairperson - Mike LeBrasseur
- Vice-Chairperson - Joe Strazzulla
- Secretary - Kate Tracy
- Budget and Negotiations Subcommittee: Mike LeBrasseur (chair) and Joe Strazzulla
- Policy Subcommittee: Michael Clements (chair) and Randi Zanca
- PR and Communications Subcommittee: Randi Zanca (chair) and Kate Tracy
- Cable Corporation Board of Directors Representative: Randi Zanca
- Building, Planning, and Construction Committee Representative: Joe Strazzulla
- Green Committee Representative: Randi Zanca
- Curriculum Committee: Joe Strazzulla
- Safety Committee Representative: Paul Halacy
- Solar Committee Representative: Melissa Walker
- Southern Worcester County Educational Collaborative Board Member: Dr. Catherine Stickney
- Warrant Approvers: Randi Zanca, Joe Strazzulla and Michael Clements
- Weekly Payroll Approver: Randi Zanca
- Student Advisory Member and Student Reporter: Connor Nowlan
High School teach Mr. James Gorman and his NASA ICED (Innovative Conceptual Engineering Design) course were recognized for their work as part of this NASA-sponsored program to increase innovation within NASA, and encouraging STEM education in the United States. Northbridge was among three classes in the country invited to present at the NASA Langley Research Center in Virginia.
MIDDLE SCHOOL HUMANITIES PROGRAM
The committee unanimously supported the Adminstration's recommendation to move to a Humanities program at the Middle School which combines Social Studies and Language Arts. The plans will continue for the first year pilot for the 2015-16 school year.
The committee was introduced to Mrs. Patricia Paine, who has recently been hired as the district's Transportation coordinator.
Additionally, just a reminder that Friday, June 5th is the deadline to sign up for busing for the 2015-16 school year. If you are eligible for busing, whether free or for a fee, or are interesting in applying for any open seats, please complete your application by the deadline. More info can be found here: NPS Transportation
DIRECTOR OF PUPIL PERSONNEL SERVICES
The committee was also introducted to Mrs. Kathleen Perry, Superintendent’s recommendation as the
Director of Pupil Personnel Services. Mrs. Perry is currently the Assistant Director of Pupil Personnel Services in North Kingstown, RI. The committee will vote to confirm Dr. Stickney's appointment at our next meeting on June 9th.
BALMER SCHOOL ENGLISH LANGUAGE ARTS CURRICULUM PRESENTATION
Instructional Coach Lauren Dolan, Principal Ross, and Assistant Principal Tringali shared some examples of the ELA curriculum in place (and in development) at Balmer School. Among the topics covered were the Model Curriculum Units and the use of Word Study to provide more targeted instruction on spelling. I'll share the link to the presentation when it is posted.
MIDDLE SCHOOL ADMINISTRATION RESTRUCTURING
Superintendent Stickney shared her proposal to restructure the Middle School Administration to include an Assistant Vice Principal, who would focus primarily on Teaching and Learning, and a Dean of Students who would work with students and families, providing a guidance role, work with School Adjustment Counselors and other staff to support students' social and emotional needs. The Committee will formally vote on this new Dean of Students position at our next meeting.
SENATOR FATTMAN VISIT TO SCHOOL COMMITTEE MEETING
The Committee meets next on June 9th. Senator Ryan Fattman is scheduled to attend that meeting.